Thursday 21 November 2013

Projection and Vocal Exercises

I have several points in which I have to project my voice from an above average level. I'm worried that once we are in the theatre my voice will not be loud enough, or I will strain my voice so much I'll either waiver or lose my voice. 

I really enjoy our Breath classes, and I intend to begin using the exercises we learn in class before rehearsals and shows. 


I've also done some research on the internet and have found some excellent videos on Youtube. 




"The voice on its own has no power, its your breath!" I think this is very improtant to remember. its all to easy just to skip the vocal warm ups and rush along to the 'fun' part of acting. However, you're actually doing yourself a massive disadvantage as its possible that your acting will be poor if you're not using the full advantage of a warmed up voice, which could effect characterisation.



This video gives a lot of advice on work for voice actors, including what you should and shouldn't do: 
Don’t eat or drink:

  • Caffeine – Dries up the vocal cords
  • Dairy – Creates mucus phlegm
  • Carbonated drinks
  • Alcohol
Don’t do:
  • Strenuous exercise
  • Smoke (Three hours before performance) 





This video helps to remind me of some tounge twisters we use, but also gives some new ones I haven't heard before. 


Works Cited

Connection, T. B.-V., 2009. How Can I Project My Voice More Powerfully?. [Online]
Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zn3VakioME
[Accessed 21 11 2013].
Design, S. S., 2009. Voice Lesson 1: Warm-Ups. [Online]
Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdBKFFELsAM
[Accessed 21 11 2013].
Gordon-Smith, F., 2012. Tongue Twisters for Elocution. [Online]
Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY9QCqTnLqM
[Accessed 21 11 2013].



1 comment:

  1. Thank you Lissie for putting this up, this has really helped me with my diction while doing Mrs Alexanders Voice.

    ReplyDelete