Sunday 23 February 2014

Ideas for Grendel




Grendel speech?

I am the monster. The monster with a girl’s name. I have no lines in the  poem. I do in the film, but not in the poem. Though the slaughter is told through my eyes, I speak no lines. This is how the poet describes me
... the other, warped
in the shape of a man, moves beyond the pale
bigger than any man, an unnatural birth
called Grendel by the country people
in former days.

Did you draw me like that? Let’s have a look. Do you know, the philosopher david hume said that 

There is an universal tendency among mankind to conceive all beings like themselves, and to transfer to every object, those qualities, with which they are familiarly acquainted, and of which they are intimately conscious.’ Shall I say that again? What do you think it means? Ha. I bet you don’t know who david hume is. And you call me, the monster!

Do you think I’m ugly? Do you think I’m a monster or a metaphor? Would you prefer me to be a real monster. Or would you prefer me to be a metaphor? Do you find me ugly? Shall I be uglier? (make up on?) Now?
Do you know that I can sing? When I sliced the men open with my sharp teeth, devoured them in my cave and sipped gingerly on their blood, I sang. Shall I sing for you? Have you seen my mother? She is coming for him. In the poem she is a head in an underground water cave but in their show it is probably one of the girls. Let me sing, yes? My missing arm brings me so much pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment