Friday 7 February 2014

Some Ideas from this week: All coming together 3rd-6th Feb

Some Ideas  from this week: All coming together 3rd-6th Feb

This Wednesday we got put into our tent groups and each chose a personal story to tell (one for each tent). I am in a group of three and we have decided that while the story is being told two of us are going to make shadows on the outside of the tent maybe sound effects to?. I think this is going to bring the story alive. We were also thinking that we could use smell as well like burning and stuff as our story is about a fire.
We also all chose an idea to talk about for before the show even starts properly. Mine is to talk about Cinderella which was the folk story I told when we first started this unit. For this I will talk about how I wanted it to be Cinderella instead of Beowulf and how I think it would have been more interesting. How doing Cinderella would have been better like such as the sticky shoe and stuff like that.

We started thinking and getting down script for Beowulf and some of us made little scenes such as for Grendel and his mother and Beowulf and his girlfriend like little sneak peeks into their stories which was fun to watch. Really interesting ideas came from this such as using well known songs in a Beowulf speech. We also split into groups to write songs for the show. I was in a group with the challenge of writing a drinking song. I quite like what we came up with its not too long and I think it would get the audience going and hopefully even joining in (which is the point). This is what we came up with:

Swords and whores and sex and pecks, lets pour ourselves a drink HEY

We did the deed the monster fleed, which gave me time to think HEY

I’ve been so tough I’m feeling rough, so pour my ass a drink HEY
On Thursday we went through the ideas we made last Thursday for the battle scenes such as the doll puppet army idea, the boat and the picking of the army. We then showed what we did on Wednesday so the little scenes of Beowulf such as Grendel and his mother and Beowulf and his girlfriend and the ideas for our tents in our groups. We also showed the cup song that many of us no and do all the time. We played with different ways of doing the cup song for possible ideas for the drinking song such as taking the claps out from the tune and then putting them back in at different points. We also tried chanting along with it. I think this tune could work nicely. I was thinking maybe we could put our drinking song that we came up with on Wednesday to this tune?. We do have a tune to the one we wrote on Wednesday but maybe could try and put the cup song to this. Or we could put both together so the tune we had and  the cup song. I’m not sure if the cup song would fit but could try it out and some of these or different ideas with it anyway?.

I feel like we have now really started to whittle down what we want and don’t want for the piece and our ideas are starting to properly come together which is great.

1 comment:


  1. this is great Charlotte well done. In terms of analysis, can you compare where we are in the process with other companies' documented process? who else works with two directors? how does that affect the process? how much of the material do we compose, recycle, throw away, develop, revisit.....

    ReplyDelete