Monday 19 January 2015

End Game Evaluation



                                        End Game Evaluation
 
End game was a short performance and unit as we did not have a lot of time compared to other performances that we have done with that in mind it contained a lot of workshops and readings to try and understand the play and what we thought the themes were behind the play. I personally did not understand the script nor was I keen on it from the start because the way it was written to me did not make sense I also for some reason did not have emotion for the play with all that in mind I decided to go onto the more productive side of the performance which to me was set and lighting.
After talking to Victor we came up with the idea of me doing lighting for the show along with helping him with the set ideas and placement of props I.E chairs and stands our first thought was a birdbath that had water in it that water would than reflect light in a wavy fashion on the celling and the light would change colour creating different atmospheres this idea unfortunately had to be scraped because we did not have a way of getting a birdbath or bowl and a light to make the effect happen but I hope to use that idea in the future. The first idea I came up with as lighting was to make a spotlight using a phone and some paper I rolled with that idea and experimented with different lights I chose a light from a phone over that of a torch as the area of the light is smaller so I could manoeuvre it within the paper therefor causing the effect of a bigger area of light being seen to just a single headshot.
After doing some more experiments in rehearsals I found out that using black card was the best way to create the light I wanted without it escaping through the paper and ruining the effect of it after the feedback showed that it looked better in black card I began taping some card in certain place’s creating permeate spotlights one was a fully body shot that could grow to a three person shot while the other was a headshot only that could grow to an upper body shot. I than kept a third one that was movable and not tapped I thought this would create any size that I needed dependant on the situation after trying this idea I realised that it was hard to do and did not provide much help to the others so I stuck to my two pre made ones.
Another part of my job was making sure Nagg and Nel were lit up correctly with the birdies on the platforms so I adjusted them on the edge so we were able to see them but not too clearly as having it lower created lines on their faces which helped to the eeriness and making them look old. Another feature I found is when I lit Shivvy up with a headshot light side on you could see a portrait silhouette on the wall this looked really nice and worked well the feedback I got said that it matched the shows atmosphere so I kept it in.
While the show was going on I had created my own cues on when to swap lights from remembering what lines and actions the actors do on stage just before they go into a physical movement using this I tried to time moments that would best work and keep that consistent while I ran into a few problems such as the noise created by the paper when I had to swap and the attempt to get the torch in the right spot fast enough I feel that it worked well within the piece and with the practitioner that we were using.  


No comments:

Post a Comment