Wednesday 29 October 2014

Self and Peer Evaluation of unit 7

Self and Peer Evaluations


Victor – Looking at what you have done, I feel that you have progressed in your acting, progressed in developing your character to fit with TV. With your final assessment, I liked how you did something different from the eccentric monologues that you have done in the past. When watching the video, you showed the assertiveness of the character, I enjoyed how you perceived the character to have full control of the situation. To develop the scene more I would suggest bringing the character out in your physicality more, maybe playing around with it, possibly standing while saying the monologue or leaning on the table. But overall I feel that you have clearly advanced in your acting abilities.

Shivy – I loved that you made the decision of leaning on the table and to look straight in Joe’s eyes throughout most of your performance, in my opinion I feel that this presented the character to be intimidating. In your piece I loved how that you played a relaxed character with moments of slight anger, which made the persona of your character more intimidating. if you were to do this again, I would suggest to definitely keep the physicality, and perhaps play around with the delivery, by looking at what moments to get angry or louder. Or possibly play it straight face and dead eyes, just playing around with seeing how else you can do the scene.

Jordan – First take – I found it interesting how you managed to take on the character and how he was feeling at this moment, it was clear to me that you spent time thinking about all aspects of this character in this situation. There were a lot of pauses and you took time to deliver the lines, which wasn’t a bad thing, I felt doing this showed how the character was feeling internally.
Second take – This take was a lot faster, and a lot different, you were very unfocused and showed almost no emotion into what you were saying, which was a good decision to make. I felt that your second take was better, because it felt a lot more natural, and showed what I think a concussed person is like in that situation. I also like how you didn’t stay focused looking at the same place, this was really good because I felt that how you showed the character fit with the monologue.

Jakko – I like the use of eye contact and leaning back and forth, I felt doing this made it engaging, like you were wanting to get your point across but I feel that you were uncomfortable saying how you felt. Which was good I felt that this part of how that character felt. Then throughout your monologue you showed how passionate the character was and how he didn’t care that he was in front of his mates. I felt that you you succeeded to make that character was so real, that there was a truth to what you were saying, for example, the line ‘Fuck you’, made me think about the truth in what you were saying and showed how you love this girl and that you didn’t care what your mates thought even if It was a bit drippy.


My evaluation.


I have really enjoyed this unit so much, I have learnt so much that will help me if I did future script work or character work.

-Minding the text – this is when you get given a scene of a script. And you try and answer these questions.
-       What I say about myself?
-       What I say about others?
-       What others say about me?
-       Where am I?
-       When am I?
-       Previous circumstances – where have you come from?
-       What is your objective & super objective?
Using question as a tool helps me to understand the character and the script further. When using this I found that I was more confident with this script.

- Really helpful feedback and advice – I found that after every monologue I did I got specific and detailed feedback from the both the tutor and the rest of the group, and this helped me to understand what I can change and develop specifically.

Things that worked and didn’t work during both of my final performances.
 
-       keep looking over to the left a lot L - I found that I look over to the left to much, doing this made me as an audience member feel less engage with the piece, I felt it was the same as turning your back to the audience in a theatrical show.
-       very monotone L - I felt my delivery of the lines are very monotone, I during the take I wasn’t concentrating on the delivery, I was concentrating on the how I was saying my lines and what points should I move. If I was going to do this piece again, I would define when I should move and how I should move.
-       Really listening to him J - the feedback I got back from Joe says that I acting like I was really listening to him. The line, DAVID – “your wrong about me.” MYRA – “wrong? In what way?” was used as an example for this point. Joe said that at this point I used facial expressions, like I knew what he was saying.

2nd Take of the first duologue.
-       I felt that it was more of an argument J - I felt that it was like a quick-witted argument. It was like a game of tennis, very fast pace and back and forth.
  

-       I liked this duologue so much – I enjoyed this duologue so much, I love having to work off the other actor. I find that doing this duologue is so much fun, and exciting. If I was to do this duologue again, I would try it moving around, change the setting, for example from how I was sitting I thought that we were in a quiet pub or something. I would definitely think about where I am in the scene and how my character would act in a different environment. I would trying moving around to see how the physicality of the character changes when the character move and how she reacts to looking at objects when performing the duologue.

2nd Monologue

-       Bethany – I wasn’t happy of this piece, because I couldn’t get the right feeling behind it, for example I couldn’t understand her objective behind this monologue, I got that she was angry and frustrated, looking at the text the line “… trying to council me through this thing.” I had a possible idea that she was trying to not let her friend know that she can’t have kids.
-       Faking it – I felt that I couldn’t get any truth in what you where saying, i felt that If I understood more about what its like to not have kids, I could get more out of the scene.
-       Trying to say the lines while thinking ‘I cant have kids’ – Following on from the Faking it point. I tried doing the monologue while continuously telling myself that I can’t have kids, because I would imagine from someone who cant have kids that thought must go over and over her head, that could be a possible link to her frustration.
-       Moving around moving my hair. – I wanted to make this monologue as natural as possible so I made the informed decision to move my hair, to pull my sleeves down and wrapping my cardigan around me, little things I wanted to do to make this character feel more natural.

-       Develop it – If I was to develop it, I would bring back a movement that I did when I was working on the piece, I would do this monologue when I got home from university, because I would be moving around, taking my coat off and sort my hair out. I did this to show a sense of relaxation from a busy moment, because in the scene the character has just gone on her break. i chose not to use this in the final piece because I thought it was better to have the character sitting down and showing that the character has been in this surrounding a while. I thought having the character stand up and do things would made that audience think that she new to her surroundings, but I would want to develop the piece and play around to see if I could make the moving around idea more natural, informal and relaxed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment