Sunday 26 January 2014

Initital thoughts...


perspective is a factor that can be very powerful in storytelling and I liked the idea of playing with from who's or what point of view we can tell the story from. I feel pulled toward the use of shadow to achieve this and it made me think of the various different ways in which silhouette and shadow can be used to create not only a story in itself, like Attraction's shadow theatre, but how it can be used to enhance the story being told. I found the following video on youtube and wanted to share with you. If you skip to 2.50 that's where the shadow work starts


As a group we have worked on how we can portray the story in different perspectives and explored how this could be achieved by using our hands to represent something that was previously being told another way. We also liked the idea of isolating a part of the body and telling the story with just that body part (hands, lips, feet etc
I really liked the ideas we played with on perspective. I thought it was really interesting how you can portray a story in two different ways at the same time. The work we did with the shadows is a good example of how we can change the perspective, big and then small...head into hands etc. This worked really well in the tents and is something I definitely think we should include in the piece because it gave the stories we were telling an extra depth. As an audience member to others work, it really kept me engaged and interested into what was going on around me.

My favourite idea for the piece so far where we tell a story which is intersected with lots of other stories completely unrelated to the main plot.
 These cross stories can take any form we want and we could even play around with the characters in the short stories, for example putting the characters from the main stories into the various storylines of the small stories. It actually sounds more complicated than I think it should be now I have written it down but it is definitely something I would like to explore further. I really enjoyed the workshop where we told each other folk and personal stories, there were some really good stories that I think we could use. I looked into folklore and fairytales in particular. I choose to look into four stories and tell my favourite two to the rest of the group. My two favourite was 'Rip Van Winkle', the story of a man who fell asleep and woke up 100 years later to find everything had changed beyond comprehension.

I have been looking into the way in which delivery can affect a story.
When we told our stories to each other in one of the first workshops there was a clear distinction between the delivery of the folk stories and the personal ones. The personal stories were delivered in a more natural way. There was a certain charm in the way they were told that made them just as intriguing as the folk stories. The emotional connection between story and storyteller was clearly a factor that added to the story. The folk stories on the other hand were told without the storyteller having lived the experience and this in turn gave the story a magical feel.
Jack, Jordan and Shivvy created a short piece where they used a certain word which signified the story was being passed on to another story teller. I thought this was very effective ad is something I think we could use in our piece. We could have certain props or words that mean we then switch to another way of telling the story.

2 comments:

  1. hurra ami on the blog! very interesting posts will read more carefully and fully tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) so glad im finally onboard!!!

    ReplyDelete