Friday 10 January 2014

The Tale of Ganesha


In my folktale I chose one of the most famous story told in Hinduism, I told the tale of Ganesha:

Once, Lord Shiva was called away from his house as the world needed him, His Wife Parvati was suffering from loneliness and she wished she had a son, so she decided to make a son using her own dust into clay. With the clay she created a perfect son, he kept her so happy, and her loneliness went away.

One day while Shiva was still away Parvati told her son “I’m going down to the river for a bath don’t let anyone in the house without my permission. The child guarded the door with his life, Shiva returned home from his outside world work and he saw a little boy, he thought, he’s never seen him before. He approached him, the child stopped him and said “you cannot enter my mother’s house” Shiva angrily said “no one stops me from going into my own house” he furiously chopped the boy’s head off.

Parvati returned and explained to Shiva that he just killed his own son, Shiva was shocked and promised an upset Parvati that he would bring him back to life. Shiva sent Gods and men’s to find a head the first head they come across, the first they came across was a baby elephant. They cut the head off and returned to Shiva.

Shiva used his great powers and fused the elephants head to the boy bringing both back to life.

They named him Ganesha

Ganesha grew to become the best loved God.

In this Unit I thought it would be fun and something different for a change. We could tell stories from different cultures all over the world.  So I brought my own insight and decided to tell a cultural story.

No comments:

Post a Comment